Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Torres del Paine May 7-9, 2010







Odometer: 3750.2


Torres del Paine National Park is named after the granite towers of rock. It is located out near the end of the world. It is it's own destination, making it more remote. It is mostly closed for the winter and close to nothing is open. It is beautiful but desolate this time of year.

After getting some incorrect information from the entrance Forrest Ranger, I found my self in a little bit trouble. No camp grounds were open and darkness was setting in. There was a group of scientists, who had just finished the year in Antarctica, looking for shelter and food as well. They had talked to the same ranger. The ranger at the North entrance said this place was open. Ooops. That was over 48 km back, and darkness had set in. We all made camp near the South ranger station.

The wind blew all night. I spent the night under the wind, I mean, the stars, hidden behind a clump of bushes and shrubs. The scientists hid behind the next group of bushes. I was awoken by the snow mixed with rain around 0:200. I pulled the bevy over my head and went back to sleep. Around sunrise the wind stopped and never picked back up. The day was clear and sunny. 82'F and sunny, well more like 35, but what a great day in the park. I bike and hiked all morning. No place to eat till around 2:00, making it 26 hours from my last meal. I was a bit hungry when I came across an open restaurant. I only had to only pay $27.00 for a burger with lettuce and tomato, fries and a coke. Ahhhh.

Having eaten enough for the day, I did bike maintenance and made camp in a closed for the season campground. I slept under the stars again. Around 01:00 I was awoken by what sounded like hoof beats. It was the first of about a dose horses. I said "Guten abend, Herr Pferd," to the first one, as I couldn't remember the word caballo. He stopped, turned his head and looked at me. Then my Spanish came back. I said "Buenos Noches, Don Caballo, como le va?" He neighed a very nice reply, shook his head up and down 2 times like horses do, gesturing if he could continue. I said, Passe, no me hace caso.” He nodded again and continued. The others simlpy kept moving. 6 or so passed between me and La Poderosa, not touching a thing. The others on one side or the other. I guess they were not much up for chatting.

Sun rise was beautiful. There was no wind and I left the park.

Uncle Walter

No comments:

Post a Comment