Sunday, June 27, 2010

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa


Tupiza, Southern Bolivia 17/6/2010

Odometer: 7788.1 miles

Altitude:3800+ meters.

Crossing the border into Bolivia was real fun. The boarder was closed from 08:30 to 11:15 because the soccer game between Argentina and South Korea was on TV. Thankfully Argentina won (4 to 1) and the guards were in a good mood. I got out of Argentina and had passed Bolivian Customs without a problem. Then came Bolivian immigration. I was told by Bolivian Consulate in Chicago I could obtain a visa without difficulty at the border. Well, it was easy enough, but the visa has to picked up about 8 blocks back in Argentina. I was already stamped out of Argentina. So, with no one paying too much attention I ran back across the border without proper paper work to the Bolivian Consulate and obtained a visa for Bolivia. As I ran across back over I was stopped by 4 Argentinean guards. I was out of breath from the altitude. They asked to see my papers for Argentina, I told them the truth with my first breath, that I had no papers, and asked about the game with my second. The head guard asked if I knew if I was in Argentina illegally. I said yes. He then told me the final score of the game and took me through to the Bolivian side so as not to have any more difficulties. Bolivian Customs did not notice my new Minnesota plate has Minnesota spelt with only one n. We will have to see how it holds up at the remaining boarders. The rest went without problems.

The Bolivian Consulate Secretary had a nasty cough with fever for the last 10 days and was on injections of penicillin and not improving. I wrote down a few others antibiotics for her to try. She was so happy she gave me the number of the consulate to call if I have any difficulties while in Bolivia, and to ask for her. Always good to know someone with connections, but I hope not to use them.

Uncle Walter

1 comment:

  1. Hello Walter, it sounds like you are beginning your "Drs. without boarders" practice. Thank goodness they see the good in you and get you over the boarders with little difficulty. It's also nice to see your smiling face and a post on your blog. You have amazing stories and pictures... we are all in awe!! All is well here. We miss you, love, KK

    ReplyDelete