Friday, July 23, 2010

Tarapoto, the edge of the Amazon, San Martin, Peru, 22-7-2010

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa


Tarapoto, the edge of the Amazon, San Martin, Peru, 22-7-2010

Odometer: 10,890.3 miles

Our decent from 4818 meters continued down to Tarapoto, a town on the eastern boarder of the Amazon. With the decent down into the basin came a rise in temperature. It is hot and muggy and (to Mari´s delight) buggy. Wew, lots of bugs. The bugs became the new hazard on the road; your helmet and neck kill them by the 1000´s. Nasty.

When we got to our Hotel in Tingo Maria(20-7-2010, odometer:10,586.3 miles) there was a crocidile in the pool. It had been scaring all the village for years and the little kids could not go swimming. The crock had eaten over 100 people. The village did not know what to do. They asked if I could help. I said ¨youbetcha.¨
I went down to the pool and had a little chat with the croc. Turns out he had a toothache, or so he said. I was not sure. I thought maybe, he was telling a fib, and when i get my head in there to check it out, CHOMP!!! No more Uncle Walter. Well, I didn´t like that option. Still the kids needed a place to swim. So I took a big pepper shaker down to the pool and shook it all around; pepper every where. Then I waited. And when he was inhaling a big breath for the worlds biggest sneeze, I jammed a big bar of steal inot his mouth to lock it open.. Then i pulled all his teeth, not one was bad, the big fibber-lier. Then, just to be safe, and show him who is king of the Amazon, I kicked his butt in a two-out-of-three-winner-takes-all Sumo Wrestling Extrvaganza. And, well, let´s just say, the kids now swim everyday with out a care, and I have wrestled better oponents.

Uncle Walter

Happppppy Anniversary Mom and Dad!!!!!!

Some interesting side notes, if you like those.


1. I forgot to note, on our way into Ayacucho, just before my nap along the road, in the north-north-western horizon, I could see the 3 stars in the handle of the big dipper, but no part that holds the soup.

2 In Tingo Maria, I could see the handle and the first two stars in the ladle, not yet the North Star.

3. Just before riding into La Quiaca, Argentina, I crossed the Tropic of Cancer.

4. I am now at the same latitude as Ndololegi, Tanzania, where Fr. Danny lives in Africa.

5, I haved logged over 10,000 miles total so far, and of those, over 3000 have been on dirt.

6. My A33 is sore.

7. Yes, sometimes Uncle Walter uses that word in front of his nieces, even the young ones. Uncle Jerry uses worse. He is soooo naughty, right Uncle Sharon

4 comments:

  1. You are so right, Uncle Walter!!!! Your pictures are awesome. I guess we will have to add "crocodile hunter" to your list of titles. We are off to Switzerland next week, but unfortunately we will not be able to hook up with Esther (She will be on "holiday" in the south of France). Take care - we always love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chris wishes he had witnessed the wrestling tournament with the crocodile. I have not seen the big dipper, myself, for some time in the mornings. It's too bright outside right now, but it will appear again when the kids are off to school. Papillion loved the pelican kiss. She agrees that it would have been stinky too. She asks that you brush your teeth before transferring the kiss to her. Becky Lou is wondering when she will be mentioned, I told her all good things come to those who wait. Love, The Morris'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uncle Walter, What do you eat? Clem

    OK Uncle Walter, I saw the picture of the croc, and it's true. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love the stories and incredible pictures! Liam especially liked your description of descending the Andes and maneuvering the switchbacks. Mari and Sophi LOVED your bug and animal pictures and wish they could see them all firsthand. We no longer have 20 snakes here but Mari and Sophi did find 25 toads yesterday. Good Day! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete